- Tibetan Painting Workshop: a 4-hour introductory workshop on Tibetan household painting, including landscapes, flowers, animals, and people. With Tashi Repten, trained in Kham and Lhasa. 2 hours of drawing and 2 hours of painting. Y350 per person, 2-8 people
- Nomad Life Workshop: A morning or evening workshop. Morning includes milking, dung collection, spinning, rope-making, complex braiding, and lunch. Evening workshops include tea, spinning, rope-making, complex braiding, and yak herding. 4 hours. Y150 per person, 2-6 people
- Hike with Nomad Grandma: She will show you how to enjoy our area in a nomad way. Wonderful views of Gongka and Zhakra Peaks. Mushroom or flower hunting seasonally. 3 hours, 120 yuan per person, 2-6 people
- Evening Wildlife Viewing: with possible viewing of raven’s nest, deer, steppe cats, badgers, marmots, wolves, wild boars, and foxes. We will do our best, but no guarantees! Nomad guide. 2 hours, with 1 hour walking. 100 yuan per person, 2-4 people
- Morning Birdwatching: Himalayan griffons, lammergiers, black-necked cranes, Kessler’s thrush and many other song birds, with observant nomad guide. 1.5 hours, 90 yuan per person 2-4 people
- Ice-sliding: Ice siding with nomad kids, high in the hills. Jan-Feb only, 2 hours. 50Y per person, 1-20 people
- Half-Day Horse Ride: Nomad guided, 3 hour rides on the high plateau. Tibetan-style riding to high viewpoints. Y300 per person, 1-12 people (single +50 yuan)
- Sauna: Finnish woodburning sauna. A great way to slow down and get comfortable. Evening before or after dinner is best. 1-2 hours, Y60, 2-12 people, staggered times.
- Bike Ride: Take a short bike ride to nearby Balang Temple. Visit the temple and village, and ride back. 1-2 hour, Y80, 1-4 people, timing as you like.
- Learn-to-Ride: 1-hour horse ride with experienced teachers. In the low valley nearby. 1 hour, 160 yuan per person, 1-16 people. Single price 250 yuan.
- Gyergo Nunnery Visit: Gyergo Nunnery is a large religious village nearby. Learn about the images you will see in many temples, attend a chanting ceremony, learn local legends, visit the cave of the nunnery’s hermit founder, and visit a sky burial site. 4 hours. 200Y per person with Chinese-fluent nomad guide, 2-6 people. Car can be arranged, extra cost. English guide is Y360 per person.
- Tibetan Jewelry Workshop: Jewelry in Tibet is not only a feast for the eyes, it also plays a crucial role in religious and social life. Teacher Zanta will bring to life the stories behind different ornaments, and explain how to distinguish fakes. Each participant will learn to make a simple knotted bracelet to bring home. Zanta’s unique jewelry designs have been recognized internationally as both innovative art and a continuation of fast disappearing folk culture. She’s had a solo art gallery exhibition in Boston, and is a recipient of a Smithsonian Folklife Center scholarship. Zanta’s life story is also an inspiration. Widowed young, she arrived in Beijing from her remote mountain village to eke out a living as a street peddler. Her dream was to send her young boy to school. Her son recently won a scholarship to study in the U.S. 2 hours. Y240 per person, 2-8 people. Y320 per person with English translation.
*English translator available for Y260 per person extra, for all half-day events (except horse riding — see linked page.) People in single-night rooms receive 100yuan discount on non-included events.
- Full-Day Horse Ride. Nomad guided, 6 hour ride on the high plateau. Tibetan-style riding to nomad camps, meditation caves, or temples. 6 hours, nomad guide. Y450-Y630 1-12 people
- All-Day Hike with nomad guide: either exploring the high plateau, going to the high camps for lunch with nomad, or high ridge walk to Lhagang. 6-8 hours. Y180 per person, 2-8 people
- 4WD trip to Meditation Cliff and High Lakes. 5 hours including car time and walking. Enjoy rock searching in old mines, a short walk to a hermitage, and a visit to 3 tiered lakes. A great way to spend time on the high plateau (4300 meters). Great birds and wildlife. Picnic lunch. Y400 pp 2 pax, Y280 pp 3+ pax.
- All-Day Area Tour: Full-day tour to Bamei villages, birthplace of 11th Dalai Lama, and Gyergo Nunnery. Very delicious restaurant lunch in Bamei. Y360 pp 2 pax, Y240pp 3-4 pax. Includes car and nomad guide. Y760 pp 2 pax, Y520 pp 3-4 pax with experienced English translation and guide.
- All-Day Temple Tour: To Gyergo Nunnery, Lhagang Monastery, and Balang Temple. With skilled English or Chinese speaking Tibetan guides. Recommended for people planning to travel across Tibetan areas, as we provide a basic understanding of Tibetan Buddhism, and images you will see in many temples. Chinese-speaking guide: Y420 pp 2 pax, 280 pp 3-4 pax. English-speaking guide: Y730 pp 2 pax, 480 pp 3-4 pax. Lunch included for lodge guests.
- Full day tour to Pukmu Cave (Female Pig Cave), which you must visit on your birth year, and good karma if you can get in the door. Y380 pp 2 pax, /Y1020 (English), groups up to 4. 3 hour drive each way.